Post an Anorexic Secret?

So everybody loves tumblr. I'll admit, it's great for art ideas, decoration, style ideas, and just generally things which are nice to look at. But tumblr, like many social networks, also has a dark side.

As many of you who use tumblr already know there is some unusual pages, which is good, it's always nice to see variety in blogs and there is something for everyone. Although, there is some pages on tumblr which are perhaps indulgent, and encouraging the wrong things. Some that I have seen include pro-self harm pages, pro ana/mia (ana being anorexia and mia being bulimia). pages, which is frankly disgraceful.

Recently I found this page, which has the same concept as post secret, where you share a secret about your eating disorder, self harm problems or anything else. It is aimed the same way post secret is, to try to help by allowing people a space to say something.

However, some of the "secrets" say how tumblr is responsible for their eating disorders and desires to become skinny. So is this page really helping? Or just encouraging more people to have reasons to hate themselves.

Perhaps I'm just viewing this from my perspective, and since eating disorders is not something which I have personally been affected by. But I have been effected by similar things, which are also covered in this page. And I do feel that it only glamorises and encourages this destructive behaviour. 

Here are some of the "secrets," and for those of you who want to see the page, click here








I feel really strongly about this page, and I'd like to hear your views on the topic. 
Do you think allowing a space for these issues to be public discussed is a good thing? But in what way are they being discussed, from my view it seems encouraging.
Are these websites, blogs, and groups calling themselves self-help pages helping or creating problems?

Popular Posts

Luis Quiles, Social Media and Sexism