Music of 2013.

Best Of 2013

I've decided to make a playlist of some my favourite bands and artists of 2013. As you'll see, it's pretty varied. But they are all incredible bands and artists. All very unusual and unique.

One band which didn't release their album in 2013 was London Grammar, but I became obsessed with them late last year and thought they deserved a mention.



PLAYLIST TRACKS.

Bastille - Pompeii
This song was almost an instant hit and was on pretty much every radio station whenever I turned on the radio for a while in 2013. They are not a bad to be dismissed as the usual pop band that drift. Their music is unusual and they are clearly enthusiastic about their work and open to experimenting such as the 90's hit TLC cover of 'No Scrub.'

HAIM - Failling
Undoubtedly one of the best bands to have come out of 2013. Absolutely incredible. I'm completely obsessed with them. Their sound is unique in comparison to any other trio girl group I've heard. The bands influences of Kate Bush and Fleetwood Mac really shine through their songs. They've managed to create a fantastic mix of indie and pop with a something which distinctively reminds me of some 90s music. 

Lorde - Royals
She really popped up out of nowhere! With an incredibly sultry voice and simple beats, similar to Lana Del Rey but with a slightly more distinctive sound. She's someone who has really grown on me in the last while, I can't wait to see what else she has to bring. 

Kodaline Brand New Day
I always love supporting Irish Bands, especially one from my home town. They've become huge in the last year with a variety of their songs featuring on a soundtracks. Their music is hard to describe as it is pretty varied on the album. Some songs, such as the one featured in this playlist is very happy-go lucky and reminds me of summer and just laying around, other songs are more serious like All I Want. It's always nice to see a band with great variety on their album. 

Rhye - Open 
A slightly more sophisticated sound. Rhye played Longitude Festival this summer. They were shown to me by a friend and I almost instantly fell in love. The background music is smooth, romantic and is perfectly suited to the soothing soft voice of both  Mike Milosh and Robin Hannibal. An ideal soundtrack for a coffee shop or when you're relaxing and reading. 


London Grammar - Wasting My Younger Years. 
I am literally OBSESSED with London Grammar. Every single song on their album is pure perfection. I can't even begin to describe their sound, the best advice is to listen closely. They have also featured with Disclosure on the song 'Help Me Loose My Mind.'

Daughter - Landfill
Daughter is a group I became engrossed in early in 2013 after hearing their song featured on a playlist on Tumblr. So far, they have not disappointed. Their album is full of simple, clear melodies with strong a very strong sense of nostalgia. 

The 1975 Chocolate.
I have only discovered The 1975 in the latter few months of 2013. They've really grown on me I must say. Their music somehow reminds me of bands I used to listen to when I was 16, but a bit more sophisticated. I'm not sure if that's possibly due to the content or their songs or not. The best way to describe them would be indie-pop rock, something you'd have a bop to on a night out. 

CHVRCHES The Mother We Share
I'll admit I am not as passionate about CHVRCHES as I am about some of the other bands and artists I've featured, possibly because I haven't given them as much attention. They definietly have a very unique sound, slightly 80s that might be due to the use of electric background beats. 

Alt J Breezeblocks.
Yet another group with I discovered at the start of 2013 and they have been amazing. Unlike anything I had heard up to this. Again another band which is hard to describe. But incredible.

Disclosure F For You
Okay so these guys don't really need an introduction as they've become huge! They've really taken over the scene completely, with collaborations with London Grammar, AlunaGeorge, Eliza Dolittle to name a few. They've really made their mark in 2013 and become a sensation. 

MO - Pilgrim 
Another artist who I was introduced to by a good friend. I've fallen in love with her. Cannot wait to get my hands on her album. A combination of very unique and unusual back beats and a sultry but distinctive voice. 

Popular Posts

Post an Anorexic Secret?

Luis Quiles, Social Media and Sexism