She's Beautiful When She's Angry

I had been sick the last few days and have been reading The Female Eunuch the last few weeks so I decided to spend my sick days off work binge watching feminist documentaries. 

I started off with 'She's Beautiful When She's Angry,' which began by looking at the origins of the feminist movement. Here I have included the trailer to give a taste. 






What I always find fascinating about watching documentaries and reading books from earlier feminist movements is the changes I can almost instantly consider. This documentary begins by conveying how second wave feminism came into existence in an extremely inspirational way, as something which started off small but grew followers, attention and more support. Equally, the documentary explored the opposition feminism faced from the media, politicians and even other females who wanted to remain housewives. She's Beautiful When She's Angry moves at a wonderful pace and explores every single issue in depth and unquestionably provided food for thought. Profoundly the documentary covered issues such as class, race, employment to perhaps more personal issues such as sexuality, contraception, rape. 

The documentary then moves to modern day, showing all of these inspiring feminists together in a book release. They then move to discuss the changes and the problems women face today. Unfortunately, there is an evident realisation that some of the issues facing women forty years ago are still be challenged today, including contraception,

Perhaps the most profound impact this documentary had on me was the realisation that this issue will continue to remain ongoing issues. Personally, I have had my own conflicts with some of this issues raised as many women have. The assumption is that contraception is so readily available, women are sexually liberated and there is no longer any social stigma or inequality, but almost every girl knows this is not the reality. Likewise larger issues such as race, class and unequal pay or some of the reasons I will always firmly believe that feminism is necessary. 

Popular Posts

Post an Anorexic Secret?

Luis Quiles, Social Media and Sexism